How to Get Clients Through Referrals
Learning how to get clients through referrals could make up a large chunk of your lead generation strategy.
Recommendations still remain the most credible form of advertising, with 83% of people saying they trust the recommendations of friends.
So, is asking for referrals part of your process?
Or do you assume your clients will naturally share good word of mouth about you?
Or perhaps you find asking for referrals uncomfortable.
The problem with not proactively asking for referrals is that you could be missing out on one of the most effective and affordable ways to get more clients!
You don’t have to create an elaborate marketing plan or wait for ages to see a result.
With these actionable tips, you can start getting more client referrals right away. Most of these ideas can be implemented with less than an hour’s worth of work, but the additional revenues that you gain can have a positive impact on your marketing efforts that lasts for months, even years.
So let’s get to it!
1. Get a Client Referral Request Mindset
The first thing you have to do to get in the habit of asking for client referrals is to overcome your fear. You can do so in the following ways:
- Remember that most people like to help other people if there is no negative cost to them.
- Remind yourself that the worst that can happen is that the client says, “No.” That’s not too terrible, is it?
- Give referrals. Help your clients grow their businesses by hooking them up with people in your network, and they’ll feel inclined to return the favor.
2. Ask at the Right Time
Most of us ask for client referrals at the end of a job. It seems like the most sensible time to ask about passing on your details.
However, this may not be the most opportune time to get new clients through referrals.
Instead, experiment asking for new client referrals at other times. Look for opportunities where a client is particularly pleased with the work you’ve done. Perhaps after you hand in the first stage of a multi-stage project, or when they’ve come back to you after one project is finished to ask about a second.
FREE 30 Places to Find New Clients Checklist
Use this checklist to find new clients and grow your audience instantly!
3. Consider Offering an Incentive for Successful Referrals
Monetary rewards, such as a gift card, can be an effective incentive for referrals that lead to sales. Other options could be discounts, free swag, or merchandise.
Choose a reward that most fits your values and gives your clients something of value that they’ll enjoy striving towards.
4. Stay Connected with Your Clients
Stay in touch with your clients to keep the door open for future referrals, and to keep you in their minds.
- Connect with them on LinkedIn, and follow their updates so you can like and comment on status updates, job changes, and blog posts.
- Follow them on Twitter so you can read their updates and chime in on conversations that are relevant to you.
- Subscribe to their blog, if they have one, and send them an email when one of the blogs is particularly good or of interest to you.
- Like their Facebook page or join their Facebook group and engage.
- Follow them on Instagram.
5. Share Their Work
Proactively share their work, their business, or their ideas within your networks so you’re passively — but proactively — referring them on a regular basis. It only takes a few clicks, but it can build a lot of goodwill to share their latest blog post, publicise their most recent product launch, or leave them a positive review.
So, How to Get Clients Through Referrals? – It’s that simple
Don’t let nerves or fear get in the way of building your business. Referrals will get you more clients, and the more referrals you ask for, the more referrals you’ll get.
As long as you put the effort into providing the best possible service and ensure your clients are receiving value, they will do much of your marketing for you.
For more tips and tricks on how to get clients through referrals why not join my online business Community and meet like minded entrepreneurs just like you.
PS If you’re looking for other great ways to get new clients then check out my Sales and Marketing Course aimed at getting you your perfect, paying clients, consistently!